Monthly Archives: November 2011
Spinach and corn are two of my absolute favorite vegetables.I can eat them in any form.But the rest of the family – lets just say, they are not in love with anything green,leafy or yellow.The husband refuses to eat anything leafy..He gets mad at me for even garnishing food with fresh Coriander or Parsley leaves. Give it to him in a form where he can’t see the leaves, he will gobble it up.Recently,we went to a cafe for brunch and it dawned me that I am the designated salad eater of the family.The husband and the daughter,dutifully passed me the greens from their plates.
Anyway,here’s my version of Creamed Spinach with corn
Creamed Spinach with corn ( makes 2 generous servings or 3 medium serves)
Baby Spinach leaves 200 gms
garlic cloves- 2 nos.
ginger- 1/2 inch piece
green chili- 1-2 as per your liking
Onion – 1 medium sized,finely chopped
Olive Oil -1-2 tsp
all spice powder- 1 tsp
salt to taste
1.Puree’ ( spinach,garlic cloves,ginger,green chili) in the food processor.
2.Heat a tsp of olive oil in a pan,add and fry the onion till translucent( you can also use shallots)
3.Add a cup of corn( I used canned corn,after draining the broth and rinsing with water)
4.Add the spinach Puree,salt and all-spice powder.
5.When the raw smell disappears,lower the flame and add the cream. Serve hot.
To give it an Indian flavor,when serving with Naan or roti,I just replace the all-spice powder with Kitchen King Masala Powder(MDH/Everest brand) and serve with rice or roti. Very quick and delicious..
Do leave me a comment if you try this recipe:)
Oh my Laddu,
What are you doing to the time??Really it hasn’t gone this fast,EVER! So you rolled over a good 1 week before you hit the 4 month mark. What’s your hurry,tell me? But you know what,for once,I am happy and not desperately looking for ways to freeze time and you,as you are. This last one month has been so exciting.. you are pushing yourself to a new level every day.
You are not happy lying down anymore.Everytime,I put you on your back, you start lifting your neck and try to sit up 🙂 You naughty imp!So, these days,I have taken to propping you up with pillows and that makes you so happy.
I am actually so thankful for all the extra pillows that we have in this house.Because God forbid,if I forget to prop you up on those pillows,you scream the house down. You have set new rules around here,the most important one being,that Mumma has to be in your line of sight ALL the time. So,when I am cooking, you and your pillows are on the couch lounger..When I am getting ready,you and your pillows are on the bed right across from the bathroom.
Sweetheart you are turning into a whole new person..I cannot believe it that just a few months back,you were a tiny baby that we brought home. But you know what,even then, you knew your Mumma and you set the rules. When you were crying, the only thing that calmed you was if Mumma held you close and whispered in your ears..and even now, that seems to work like magic.One minute I have a screaming baby and the very next,she is smiling:)
All that is fine,but,really Bubba,the other Big person is this house is your Papa and its alright if he holds you sometime..Yes Yes, I know you have been letting him rock you to sleep,last two days..but,we need more of those moments.I mean,come on… it’s not necessary to cry every time,I move out of your 10cm radius.And then,when I hold you, you are happy and smiling at all and sundry. Sometimes I want to see those beautiful smiles too.
You, naughty monkey, you save the best of your smiles and deepest chuckles for your didi.Your big sister,comes up with funny tricks to make you laugh You chuckled for her the first time..Gosh!Your Papa and I stopped whatever we were doing and watched in awe.
And not only smiles,you are a wild kitten,ready to bat your paws on Didi’s face,when she irritates you,by trying to eat your nose.You
scream screech in anger irritation and want to bite her nose back! It’s the most hilarious sight. I hope I am able to laugh,later in life,when you get both get older and are driving me crazy with sibling fights!
As of now,I will just revel in the love you both shower on each other,and thank God for blessing me with such lovely babies.. Gosh! I could just eat you up.
On 23/11/2011 you turned 4 months.Didi was so excited,she kept telling anyone and everyone,who cared to listen,”Its Ananya’s Birthday.Say Happy birthday to her!”She insisted we bake a cake.We had a busy day that day and I was too tired.But,she wouldn’t give up.So,we ended up baking a cake-in-cup,which was quite a disaster..and decorated it with rainbow Marshmallows.I was too sad,for not getting/baking you a real cake..But,I promise you,when you can actually eat the cake,I will bake you the prettiest,the softest,most delicious smash cake EVER!
Oh and I know, you hear this too often,that she looks like Aadi or Papa or Mumma.. and I also feel at most times that you look like didi did at your age, but you also have your own face and expressions and voice ..and they are so you,I can recognize it,even with my eyes closed..I know,it doesn’t make sense right now..but it will when you become a mom,then you will know the crazy ways,a mom’s mind works in!
I’ll stop here with lots of love and cuddles and kisses and squooshes.
Love you always,
And you my dear readers,I leave you with this:) Enjoy!
….called Buttons 🙂 I absolutely heart buttons- of assorted colors,shapes and sizes. I hit gold when I found a pack of 100 assorted buttons in bright colors and cute shapes.
I used them here and here they instantly upped the Cuteness factor 🙂
Then,I made this card for a friend’s 5 year old.
And how can I forget these gift bags that I made for Aadya’s 4th birthday.
These were super-easy to make and such a delight to see a box full of hand-made goody bags:)
Just made dots on the brown paper-bags- using acrylic colors and ear-buds.Wrote the names of the recievers using a felt tip pen. And then,the birthday girl ‘helped’ me stick the buttons on 🙂
Linking this post to Artsy-Craftsy November 2011
I had plans of making a nice winter wardrobe for the baby.. but
two things offset my plan..
1) We didn’t know the sex of the baby..till the very end..
2) I had severe carpel tunnel..
Here are some things I worked on,when I was pregnant..
Aren’t these cute?? The little cutie kept them on for all of 5 minutes!!!
Pattern: Test Pattern on Ravelry
I hope these stay on longer!
Pattern: another pattern I tested .
And this is where I turned into my MOTHER!! yes,I made matching garments for my kids 🙂 and now,I,finally, understand what made her do it:)Here‘s the one that I knit for the big sister-
Pattern: Pebble on Ravelry
Ok, now you can say-Awwww..:)
This post has been long over-due! Thanks for being so patient,Ami!
We went through a phase in our house,where we were tired of eating the same vegetables-cabbage,cauliflower,beans,carrot,capsicums..and I wanted to bring new vegetables to the dinner table.
When I mentioned Zuchini,the husband wasn’t too enthused ..the daughter couldn’t care less..So,I had to make it fun.What is more fun than a cutlet. So,here’s what I came up with.
1 and 1/2 cup Green Mung
1 small onion,finely chopped.
1-2 green chilies
fresh corriander leaves.
Salt,cummin powder,black pepper.( if you want an Indian flavor- add some red chili powder and garam masala)
Bread crumbs for coating
oil/oil spray for frying.
Soak Mung in warm water for 1 hour. Then cook the moong with sufficient water in an open pan,till the Mung become tender and the water dries up.If there is excess water,drain it.Mash it to a pulp and let it cool.
Heat oil in a pan and fry onions in it,till they start to brown.Add the grated zucchini and fry for a minute or two.
Add the fried onion-zucchini mix, the spices and chopped green chilies and chopped corriander leaves to this mix. knead well.
Divide the mixture into balls of equal size.
Flatten the balls and coat with bread crumbs and pan fry on medium heat,till crispy.
I served these as it is with tea and then, as Pita wraps for dinner.
For making the wraps,you need:
Green chutney or any sauce of your choice-hummus,tahini,garlic sauce..whichever you like.
Cut the pita from the middle,so that you have two pita-pockets. Stuff the pocket with salad,cutlets,generous helping of sauce-Wrap it up..Dig in!!!
Anybody still here??
This is Suburban Mumma reporting from the Suburban House:)
Hope you all are doing well and still reading:)
So,here’s the latest from our end-
Babychino was very very sick from the weekend of Nov.5th. She had a case of acute Bronchiolitis and was have trouble breathing.She scared the crap out of us,on Monday morning by gasping and wheezing loudly.This happened at 6 am on 7th Nov.We were sent to the ER twice in the same week.Since then,I had not slept well until,last night.I would just sit there watching her..forcing my eyes to stay open,even when they protested and started watering.Her cough is all but gone now and I slept last night..My body is so tired,my eyes are so tired..but I am happy,she is better.
And for all those who asked,YES! I finally gathered all my nerves and went ahead and booked the CT scan.So,thats done and dusted.And after the test I realised,that I survived the test..its the waiting for results,that will kill me. Anyway,I was told that if its something urgent,they will call me..otherwise,I will get the results from the Doctor,next week.And now,every time,the phone rings,I jump!
Babushka,went one level up in her Kumon English in less than a month..and WE are a very PROUD set of parents:) Babs also finished her Prep orientation and we got her uniform fittings done.She was like an excited bunny in the uniform store. Yes,there’s a uniform store and they give you appointments to get your child’s sizes checked and despite giving you an appointment,they don’t have everything in stock!
Oh and Babychino,rolled over and loves it when we cheer her on! Ohh and she is super-clingy to me now..She knows and responds to her name and gurgles as soon as she spots me.Oh wait..I am not allowed to go away from her.I have to be in her vicinity all the time. She is going through major separation anxiety.SD is not amused..he accuses me of snatching both his daughters 😛 Then,I give him a sly look and say,he is mine too.and that seems to please him LOL! what can I do..I am irresistible.
Well my so-called friends don’t think so..we are going through a re-run of this.It hurt like hell..but I have come to realise that I am better-off without such friends.SD wants me to blog about it,to hear back from you,kind folks..and may be I will,for his sake..
Well,thats it from our side..I will write again,soon.
WOW!I did it again..let this blog sit unattended..for so long.I try,I really try to keep up..I take pictures after cooking every interesting dish-old/new.I plan about writing stuff here.. but these days time is like sand..it just slips through my fingers..and I don’t even know when.
I hope you all have been well and I hope at least some of you are still reading:)
Over the last few months(read when I was pregnant and after little A was born!),weekend Brunch is just something we grab outside..Mc.Donalds,Nandos or some Indian restaurant…and that’s about it.And by evening,we are all hungry,tired and not satisfied..And tonight as I was cooking dinner,I was reminiscing the weekends of my childhood.
Isn’t it funny how most of our childhood memories have something related to food associated with them? I guess,its because our moms put in a a lot of effort in making sure there was fresh food on the table,for every single meal.Also,restaurants were few and far and eating-out was a rare treat.Seriously,our generation eats out so much,there is nothing exciting about it.
So, not to digress, the weekend Lunch menu while I was growing up was-
either a wholesome full-bodied chicken curry with rice and fresh rotis,a nice salad on the side.
Chole(Chickpea curry) or Rajma(Kidney Beans curry) with Rice,fresh rotis and yogurt and salad
Chinese style chicken chili and fried rice
Fish Fry with Daal-rice
Any non-veg curry with rice and roti.
And I really want to bring back real food to the table. Most nights I cook dinner that lasts us for next days lunch too..But,I want the weekend menu to be something different,quick and fresh..And I am looking for ideas.Would you please be kind enough to leave me a note and tell me what your weekend meals are like?
That’s my new favorite number:) Do you know why? Well,lemme show you:
Babushka’s Canvas shoes
My Canvas shoes
These cute tees for Babushka(pic courtesy-google images)
All the things in the pictures costed me $5 each. Not only this,I found cute everyday Rompers for Babychino,for $5 each.
This post may also be titled- Why I love driving 🙂 Now,I can go to the stores at leisure(read-when Babushka is at Kinder),browse peacefully(read-when SD is not breathing down my neck,asking me to hurry up and stick to the LIST)..well,I love these little bargains:) Don’t you?
WHAT WAS YOUR:
1. Last beverage : A home-made Mocha
2. Last phone call : Husband
3. Last text message : One of my mum-friends from Aadya’s Kinder
4.Last song : Chammak Challo
5. Last time you cried : an hour back,while watching a movie
HAVE YOU EVER:
6. Dated someone twice : yes and married him too!
7. Been cheated on : NO
8. Kissed someone & regretted it : nah-uh!
9. Lost someone special : My mom
10. Been depressed : oh,yes!
11. Been drunk and threw up : LOL! No didn’t throw up..just got a little happy:)
LIST THREE FAVORITE COLORS:
SINCE LAST YEAR (2010), HAVE YOU:
15. Made a new friend : yes:)
16. Fallen out of love : Nope..still going strong..hate him at times,but still madly in love!
17. Laughed until you cried : Don’t remember when
18. Met someone who changed you : Yes-gave birth to her!
19. Found out who your true friends were : Absolutely!
20. Found out someone was talking about you : No
21. Kissed anyone on your FB friend’s list : Yes,sure!
22. How many people on your FB friends list do you know in real life: umm quite a few 🙂
24. Do you have any pets: not here:) He’s at my dad’s 🙂
25. Do you want to change your name : No never
26. What did you do for your last birthday : spent the day with a girlfriend,first time in last 9 years:) All these years,I always spent the day with Sanj!
27. What time did you wake up today: 4:00 am,then 6 am ,then 8 am..and finally at 9:15am!
28. What were you doing at midnight last night : surfing the net
29. Whats something you can’t wait for: to start earning
30. Last time you saw your mother: A couple days back,in my dreams:) If only dreams could be real.
31. What is one thing you wish you could change about your life: My mom would still be alive and spoiling my husband and babies rotten..I would be calling her up,every day,for random nonsensical chats.
32. What are you listening to right now: Panchatantra,that Aadi is watching!
33. Have you ever talked to a person named Tom? nope!But I did know someone called Jerry!
34. What’s getting on your nerves right now: People expecting too much of a 4 yo!
35. Most visited webpage : facebook, wordpress,gmail
37. Nickname(s) :Trish
38. Relationship Status : Happily married with kids
39.Zodiac Sign : Aquarius
40. He or She: She
41. Elementary : St.Johns English school,Rajasthan,India
42. High School : Kendriya Vidyalaya-various locations,India
43. College : RRC,Mumbai
44. Hair color : BLACK
45. Long or short hair : Long
46. Height : 5’1″
47. Do you have a crush on someone? : nope
48. What do you like about yourself? : My friendly,no-nonsense nature..What you see is what you get-what I am inside,is what you see outside:)
50. Tattoos : I haven’t had the guts to get one,so far
51. Righty or lefty : Righty
52. First surgery : Appendectomy
53. First piercing : Ears-those are my only piercings too
54. First best friend : My sister!
55. First sport you joined : Badminton
56. First vacation : My vacation memories are made up of trips to Devlali,where my grandparents lived!
59. Eating : nothing
60. Drinking : nothing
61. I’m about to: make tea
62. Listening to :Panchatantra tales
63. Waiting for : a break,India trip,someone special’s wedding..a much-waited break for another special someone…
YOUR FUTURE :
64. Want kids? Already have two beautiful babies
65. Get Married? : ummm yes!
66. Career? : will have one,one day!
WHICH IS BETTER :
67. Lips or eyes : Eyes
68. Hugs or kisses :Definitely Hugs..
69. Shorter or taller :Taller
70. Older or Younger : Older
71. Romantic or spontaneous : Depends
72. Nice stomach or nice arms : nice arms!
73. Sensitive or loud : sensitive
74. Hook-up or relationship: Relationship!
75. Funny or Shy?: funny
HAVE YOU EVER :
76. Kissed a stranger : nope!
77. Drank hard liquor : yes,tried it!
80. Broke someone’s heart : yes-not intentionally:(
81. Had your own heart broken : yes
82. Been arrested : no
83. Turned someone down : yes
84. Cried when someone died : Yes
DO YOU BELIEVE IN:
86. Yourself : Yes!
87. Miracles : yes
88. Love at first sight : no
89. Heaven : Yes
90. Santa Clause : yes
91. The tooth fairy : well why not!
92. Angels : Yes:) I am dreamer:)