Happy Rakshabandhan 2013
Here’s wishing a very happy Rakshabandhan to all the brothers and sisters across the world.
‘Rakhi’ is a big deal in our household.When I was a kid, my sister and I used to tie ‘Rakhis’ to each other, along with all our cousins and ‘Rakhi’ brothers. When we grew up, we started tying the ‘rakhi’ to our dad.
When my first daughter was born,we started this tradition in our home. I made two ‘rakhis’ and tied one(on her behalf) to hubby and the other to the Bal Krishna idol in our pooja room. A few years later,when her sister came along, I made them both tie ‘rakhis’ to their dad and to each other. It’s just a lovely celebration. So,when Preethi asked me, if I wanted to do a craft or a recipe post for Rakshabandhan, I jumped at it.
Every year, Rakhi making is a big part of the celebration.This year we started with :
Photo Credit : Trish
- A bunch of assorted ribbons
- Assorted ornaments to decorate the ribbons(pompoms,buttons,etc.)
And this is what we came up with :
Can you guess which one was made by the very crafty 6 year old?
Now for the sweet. Today, I share with you a recipe of my favorite Chocolate Burfi. Anyone else remember this delicious 2-layer wonder??
Image Courtesy:Google Images
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 125 grams butter OR 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Chopped Pistachio for garnishing
- Mix the cocoa powder with a little milk,using a whisk,so as to avoid lumps.Keep aside.
- Take all the ingredients,except the chopped nuts,in a heavy bottom pan and cook it on a medium flame,stirring constantly.
- When the mix starts to thicken and leaves the sides of the pan,turn off the heat .
- Spread about 2/3rd of the mix on a greased tray.(I like my chocolate layer to be nice and thick )
- Mix the chocolate mix to the remaining mixture.Mix thoroughly and spread it on top of the milk layer.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Mark the squares-let it cool and then cut off the squares.
- Sink your teeth in to one or two or three..and enjoy the yummmy chocolatey goodness.
Once again wish you all a very happy Rakshabandhan..Hope you enjoy the day and don’t forget to tell your sibling,how special they are to you.